[PSUBS-MAILIST] FW: VBT pump

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Aug 16 09:29:07 EDT 2023

 Hugh, on my original design for the R300 I had a hard VBT just aft of the pilot. At the time I had a small HPU in the boat.  My plan was to use a Oberdorfer Bronze gear pump driven by a small hydraulic motor to move water in and out of the VBT.  I don't remember the specs on the pump.  I had motorized ball valves on the vent and flood side of the VBT.  Prior to using this set up, I did some testing of this gear pump which I still have.  What I found was an unacceptable amount of flow slippage at my max design depth.  There was so much slippage that the pump could not blow the VBT at max depth.  At that point I abandoned using a pump and vent to blowing the VBT with air.  I eventually abandoned the VBT altogether for operability reasons.  When I used this hard VBT to get neutral on the surface, the pressure in the tank was low.  When at depth if I ever tried to use the VBT, water would rush in until the pressure equalized with ambient water pressure.  This made the boat negatively buoyant until air was added.  The other thing that bugged me was I had a float style level sensor in the VBT.  The water level in the VBT was always moving around so you never trust the reading.  I eventually abandoned the VBT and now just add ballast at the boat CG where the VBT was located.  I find this works great.  The other issue is the VBT restricted access to equipment aft of the VBT so to work on any of this equipment, I had to remove the VBT.   All in all, I found the VBT to be a pain in butt.
Cliff
Oberdorfer 944 Bronze