[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-sub hatch o-ring

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jun 15 08:02:16 EDT 2021

 Thank you for the info James.  I got my #472 o-ring which is .275 cross-section and it seems way too fat for the channel.
Jon

    On Saturday, June 12, 2021, 01:20:37 PM EDT, James Frankland via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Hi Jon
I measured the inside diameter of the hatch O ring groove.
I measured it at 588mm or 23.14"
Its difficult to measure super accurately due to the paint thickness but I know It was made it exactly to the plans, including the bevel.  I had an engineering company skim it and put the groove in as I couldnt fit it on my machine.

The O ring I am using is 0.25" 60D one that I made out of cord.  I went for 60D as opposed to 70 on advice as its easier to crank the hatch down tight.  I experimented with different cords of very slightly different thicknesses and then just went for the one I felt was right.  I glued it together with "special" glue that the company I got the cord from sold me.  Later I discovered that its just superglue if you check the ingredients.
I always take the hatch O ring off after diving to make sure I dont get corrosion in the groove.
Its the only one ive ever used on the sub and its never leaked, not even a bit.
Not sure thats much help, but my 1p's worth.
RegardsJames