[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fabricating foil sections

Fri May 29 21:38:06 EDT 2020

Does anyone on the list have any experience with weld fabrication of foil appendages (e.g. NACA 00xx)? Specifically, I am looking at forming a 10 gauge steel skin around a framework of 0.250" rib frames (joined on beam / pipe spine). The ribs will be CNC cut from plate, but I am unfamiliar with the forming and welding steps. I know that ship rudders and the like typically employ slot welds of some sort to join skin to ribs, but I don’t know how this is actually done in practice. Any relevant knowledge would be appreciated.

Sean