[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fabricating foil sections

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat May 30 08:22:09 EDT 2020

 Sean, Not sure about the size of foil your building.  I would weld up the frame then clamp one side on first and stich weld the inside of the plate to the ribs.  This would give the foil rigidity from the first plate.  Then clamp the opposite side plate with slots ground or cut that land partially on the ribs  so the plate does not deform when you bend it over.  Depending on the size of foil, do both sides need to be welded to the ribs?  Maybe one side is sufficient for rigidity and just the perimeter of the other side.  Wow thick is the foil?  can you clamp the second plate on with enough room to weld the mid span of the plate to the inside of the ribs?  The book "Steel Away"  is a great guide for steel boat building practices.Hank