[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ping 360 Scanning Sonar

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 27 04:40:12 EDT 2019

Hi Ian,
I was going to describe a similar set up to your tethered buoy idea,
but left my message brief.
The tricky part would be the direction finding sonar.
I had thought of a tethered buoy with a device underneath that
determined the angle of the tether. Lots of variables though, like a bow
in the tether if you turned back on your path. At a depth of 250ft your
position could go out by quite a bit, & current could effect it.
With the motorised buoy idea you would have 2 small RC boat motors
giving tractor steering & an array of 4 or 5 sonars. There would be 1 sonar
pointing down & the others pointing outward on a slight angle. The buoy
would move toward the strongest signal, continually attempting to keep the
buoy directly above the submarine. The buoy would have GPS, & send it's
position periodically via an acoustic signal to the sub. The sub in turn would
send speed & directional information to the buoy so that it could predict
It's required speed & direction.
I REALLY like my idea of hacking a standard boat chart plotter & feeding the
GPS signal from the Buoy in to it. That way every thing is plotted, you can put way
points in & easily go back to any points of interest. Possibly synchronise readings
from an electronic depth gauge with the chart plotter.
You will have fun going about it bit by bit the way you described. That's probably
a wise approach. If you are diving in the sea the tidal currents will add another
level of complexity.
As a diver I have had a lot of trouble at times finding a cray hole I thought
was easy to find again; so have no illusions as to how difficult it is navigating
under water.
Alan