[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ping 360 Scanning Sonar

irox via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 27 03:19:35 EDT 2019

Hi Alan,

you're right, it's probably a lot of work to get to that stage.  Also a
lot of components and complexity to keep dry and reliable, I feel that
that might be half (or more) of the challenge.

I would start with a smaller part first, like a compass using a fiber optic
gyro and a 3D flux gate compass.  Then get some experience dealing with the
issues of reliability of more complex/sensitive electronics in a sub-interior
environment. Once I think I've got some electronic-environmental solutions,
I'll look at getting a simple sonar setup. And just keep building from there.

For your powered buoy, will it be able to relay position data back to the sub?

I had an idea for using a tethered buoy to do positioning.  The buoy would be
tethered with an ROV cable which was strong enough to be the sole tether and
could do (relative) high speed digital comms between sub and buoy.  The buoy
would have a GPS receiver and an acoustic pinger on board.  On board the sub,
a direction finding passive sonar (3 or more transducers) and a digital depth
gauge.

To get the sub's position, send a command to the buoy to return a GPS reading
and send a ping at the same time, simultaneously take the sub's depth reading.
Once you have the depth of the sub (digital depth gauge), the direction
of the buoy (direction finding sonar), and the distance from the sub to the buoy
(time from the ping sent to ping received), it's a bit of trigonometry but you
can determine the position of the sub relative to the buoy. This sub-buoy position
delta would be used as an offset to the returned GPS coordinates, giving the
actual position of the sub.

Cheers,
  Ian.