[PSUBS-MAILIST] Phil Nuytten has died at 81

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue May 16 09:11:06 EDT 2023

I had not heard, but boy will he be missed. Talking to Phil was like
meeting Da Vinci. He had a completely outside-the-box way of thinking.
Engineers draw diagrams of things showing how they will work. Phil would
have an idea and draw the finished article, in charcoal, and so beautifully
that you'd want to frame the drawing and hang it on your wall. He'd only
call in the draftsmen later, explain how the thing would work, and have
them come up with the diagrams. If I'm not mistaken his art has been
displayed in galleries. He was also a wonderful carver, and the author of
the standard textbook on native carving. I think he might have recorded
music too. And when it came to subs, they just exploded with creativity. I
went up to see him when I was just thinking about building a sub, I think
around 1998. I was completely clueless, and he spent a whole day with me
explaining everything from how life support works, to which welding
electrodes to use in different situations. It was a fantastic combination,
world leading knowledge and utterly selfless willingness to share.

Best,
Alec

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 8:56 AM Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <