[PSUBS-MAILIST] Phil Nuytten has died at 81

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue May 16 08:55:41 EDT 2023

For those whom haven't heard, Phil Nuytten passed away May 13 at 81 years old.  I have not seen any information regarding arrangements.
Phil was a contributor and supporter of PSUBS who shared his knowledge freely.  In 2009 he was a gracious host for our PSUBS convention and let us dive in his Deep Worker submarines, gave us a tour of his shop where he was working on his latest projects as well as his historical collection of submarines.  He treated us very well.
It has always been my opinion that Phil Nuytten almost single-handedly legitimized PSUBS.  In the early days, PSUBS garnered some considerable criticism from an untrusting industry who classified us a "weekend warriors" that were going to kill ourselves and in the process saddle the commercial industry with restrictive regulations.  Phil was one of the exceptions that embraced our organization and became part of it.  When that happened the rest of the industry took note and started looking at us differently, with respect.  We will miss him.
Jon