[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

MerlinSub@t-online.de via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jun 30 16:17:29 EDT 2023

I found a much better picture and correct the figures as follow:

Diameter hull                                   1600 mm (given)
Diameter front porthole outside         614 mm
Diameter front porthole inside           436 mm

But given with the outer window diamter given by Jon of just 530 I come to

Diameter hull                                   1381mm
Diameter front porthole outside         530 mm (given)
Diameter front porthole inside           376 mm

If I do with the 530 / 376 a little reverse enginering on a conical seat of
60°
I come to a thickness of just 120 mm for a inside and outside flat  conical
frustrum window.

According to PVHO-1-1987  t /Di = 0,348  with  t = 0,348 x 376 mm = 162 mm
at 40 Mpa (4000m)
(for Short term critical presssure)

But from Jon's picture it seems more a Sperical Sector Window with Conical
Edge. and flat inside.
The code has no figures for such a window.
But if I use for Sherical Shell windows t/di shall 0,195 means t =  0,195 x
376 = 73 mm

To be diplomatic I just mix up the flat with the sperhical and got (162 +
73) / 2 = 117,5 mm
(for Short term critical presssure)

The code says if you have not a standard geometrie - you have to test 5
windows to destroy dephs
and use the lowest failture pressure for your calculation.

Carsten

.

-----Original-Nachricht-----