[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

Fri Jun 30 15:05:40 EDT 2023

Particularly in light of the fact that, as River pointed out, non-standard geometries can be acceptable under PVHO-1, but require an expensive series of destructive tests to do so, whereas the standard geometries are well proven and compliant to class if you follow the guidelines. As we have seen, OceanGate did not seem predisposed to extensive verification testing. I also wonder about what sort of visual abberation / lens effect you would get from a window with one convex face and one flat face?

With regard to the salvage, I wonder if the port was still intact when they found it, and was subsequently either destroyed or removed in order to facilitate handling of the end cap? Titanium (assuming ASTM B265 Grade 5 per the ABS rules, but who knows?) is only weakly paramagnetic, so a magnetic clamp isn't going to work, and absent any preexisting and accessable lifting lugs / shackles they would probably have had to clamp the head edge with a manipulator and then drop it in a tray for the ascent, or attach a pipe clamp to an edge, or sling it through the viewport opening as some of the surface video shows.

Sean