[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

Thu Jun 29 15:38:47 EDT 2023

I was just going to mention that. To say nothing of the appropriateness of FRC in submerged cyclic service generally, the composite hull on Titan was wound in the principal hoop stress direction only. A more appropriate layup would have incorporated longitudinal and/or +/- 45° layers as well. Unless you are floating the cylinder between mechanically constrained end seals (i.e. with the end caps connected via tie rods that carry the compressive stress), you will never have pure hoop stress in the cylinder wall.

I'm less sold on longitudinal collapse as the failure mode, as opposed to overall buckling. FRCs have their own specific failure modes which can include delamination, loss of bond between matrix and fiber, shear of the fiber, matrix creep, and certain dislocation effects. Though a longitudinal instability or initial localized failure of the hull due to longitudinal stress could easily have precipitated an overall buckling event, I expect that the general deformation mode will be determined to have been radial collapse vs an accordion-type buckle.

Sean