[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

Fri Jun 30 11:58:51 EDT 2023

That will be a spherical sector window with conical bearing surface. You can kind of see the inside surface abberation if you look closely at the window in your video (0:12 - 0:18). Certainly, a window with spherical outer face and flat inner face is not a standard geometry in any reference.

The spherical sector window with conical face is a superior geometry because all points of the window are exclusively in compression. This is why PVHO-1 gives such windows a 20 year base service life, as opposed to 10 years for square edge or flanged.

Sean