[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

Fri Jun 23 21:41:27 EDT 2023

SAR must remain a publically funded endeavour, because the alternative would incentivize people not to call when they need help, unavoidably resulting in loss of life. You can't bill someone retroactively for SAR either, for the same reason. The best thing we can do for mountaineers and mariners alike is education, outreach, and making critical safety equipment readily available at reasonably achievable price points.

An argument could be made (and I suspect, will eventually be made in court by the survivors of the deceased) that the extent of the controversy surrounding the safety of the Titan design was not fully disclosed to the passengers, and that they signed their respective liability waivers taking the presented language at face value, when in fact some critical directly relevant information was deliberately withheld, and that this could render the waiver legally ineffective. I'm sure the courts will sort it out.

Whether you agree or not that one should be free to assume any amount of personal risk in an endeavour (the argument against being that no fatality does not present downstream risk or injury to others, whether that is friends and family, SAR and emergency services personnel, etc.), it is clear that this incident further imposed a significant risk to the paying passengers, who may not have been fully informed of the risks despite signing the waiver. If such pertinent information was deliberately withheld, that would seem to be a situation which is indeed firmly in the public interest to regulate.

Sean