[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

MerlinSub@t-online.de via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jun 23 08:53:32 EDT 2023

Another point:

Older expeditions with guest to the titanic were done with two subs. So one
can update/help/locate usw. the other.
Seems the Mothership here has not even an Workclass rov at least.

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site
Datum: 2023-06-23T13:23:26+0200
Von: "Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles"
<personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
An: "Personal Submersibles General Discussion"
<personal_submersibles at psubs.org>

The controller is not something I would use, mine is physically much
tougher and has things like O-ring seals on all the pots and switches.
Nonetheless, I found it amazing the degree to which the "experts" latched
onto that and anything else that was off the shelf, as if the concept of
using OTS components were some sort of cardinal sin. The controller, the
cabin lights from Camping World, and recycled pipes for ballast were all
treated as obvious evidence of bad engineering or even a total scam. Who
cares what your ballast was in a previous life, if it weighs what you need
it to weigh? Moving forward we not only have to look at whether OTS parts
work and are reliable, but also how they will be perceived. I'm not just
ranting against the misinformed TikTok experts, I think this is an actual
lesson for us. Imagine a boat ramp conversation with some local authority
right now, when you explain that you control the sub with a game
controller.

:)

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 2:52 AM Alan James via Personal_Submersibles <
personal_submersibles at psubs.org <mailto:personal_submersibles at psubs.org> >
wrote:
  Hi Doug,
  my ambient sub had a game controller controlling speed, steering, ballast
  & a few other things. They have been tested and abused by several million
  kids. :) . But aside from that I had back up for all those functions so
  if it failed the sub still operated. And I am sure Oceangate would have
  done the same. ABS & DNV-GL have a principal that no one failure can
  cause a catastrophic event. Even though I have heard they weren't
  certified, they would certainly have been building to the rules.
  All a bit strange as they were only half way to the wreck.
  If the hull had have imploded it would have failed at maybe 1/4 of its
  crush depth. If power failed they would have gone to the surface, &
  should have had surface coms that would work with a back up battery.
  Alan

  Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
  <https://mail.onelink.me/107872968?pid=nativeplacement&c=Global_Acquisition_YMktg_315_Internal_EmailSignature&af_sub1=Acquisition&af_sub2=Global_YMktg&af_sub3=&af_sub4=100000604&af_sub5=EmailSignature__Static_>

  On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 at 12:41 am, Douglas Suhr via Personal_Submersibles