[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

Douglas Suhr via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jun 20 08:39:46 EDT 2023

Yikes... I've been doing some reading about this 'OceanGate Expeditions'
and I've got to say, their operations sound rather jury-rigged. To be fair,
we PSUBBERS sometimes employ similar techniques, but we aren't usually
going to 13,000 feet. I'm still maintaining hope. Maybe they're on a
slow ascent and drifting with the currents. ~ Doug S.

‘Missing’ OceanGate CEO reveals Titanic submersible operated with ‘game
controller’ and built ‘with camping parts’ in resurfaced video

The OceanGate CEO believed to be missing on board a Titanic
<https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/titanic> exploration submersible
described how the vessel was “built with camping parts" and operated with a
“game controller” in a resurfaced video.

In November 2022, Stockton Rush told CBS the Titan craft was built with
“off-the-shelf components.”

Pointing at parts of the vessel, Mr Rush said: “We can use these
off-the-shelf components. I got these from Camping World.

“We run the whole thing with this game controller,” he added, picking up a
gamepad.

Reporter David Pogue said pieces of the submersible seemed “improvised,”
but Mr Rush told him the vessel would be “safe” even if parts didn’t work.

Mr Rush is believed to be among the five-person crew aboard the craft.

The underwater vehicle submerged on Sunday morning (18 June) and its
support vessel lost contact with it about an hour and 45 minutes later,
authorities said.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 5:57 AM Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <