[PSUBS-MAILIST] Power sources

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 19 15:02:16 EDT 2023

 Roughly speaking lifepo is about half the weight of lead-acid.  I’m going to compensate that difference with lead. However, the physical size advantage will only come into play if you build from individual cells since most 12volt lifepo batteries on the market mimic traditional sized lead-acid batteries and therefore there would be no physical size advantage.  So you need to purchase individual cells, group them together into a battery, and then match a BMS to it for discharge and charging.
An alternative would be to purchase a ready made battery (group 24 for example) and then strip the cells and BMS out of it to reduce the physical size.

Jon