[PSUBS-MAILIST] Power sources

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jun 2 14:12:07 EDT 2023

I'm actually in the middle of researching this, as I need to replace my
batteries. If I were going through this exercise with my previous sub (a
K250,) then a small lightweight battery would have been fantastic, because
the batteries were in the cabin where space is at a premium. If I were
designing a new sub, I'd probably go that route too, and forget about
making battery pods. But in my existing one, I rely on battery weight for
stability (500 plus pounds, nice and low in pods). The storage capacity of
the AGMs is more than ample. If I replaced them with lightweight batteries,
I'd have to stuff the rest of the battery pods space with lead that doesn't
add any value. So to summarize, I'd say that for new construction it would
be new tech, but for existing construction it just depends on the specific
design.

Best,
Alec

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 9:02 AM hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <