[PSUBS-MAILIST] Penetrator Welds

Thu Jun 1 07:31:01 EDT 2023

Hi All

Any thoughts on this.  I have always thought that welds for through hull
fittings are not required to be full penetration.  Just keep the hole as
tight as possible to the fitting.

Ive been talking to some people who say that the joints should be full pen.

Obviously full pen is best, but has issues with accessibility and warping.

On Jodie B i just welded all the penetrators in with a double fillet as i
believe was shown in the plans.

Gamma plans show a "mostly" full pen weld for one of their penetrators.
See pic.

I am thinking of putting a 30mm diameter penetrator through the 25mm
conning tower base.  This is a bit of a monster to get full pen.

What do you guys think?  Anyone put a penetrator through such thick
material before?

Any views on penetration of small welded fittings?

[image: image.png]