[PSUBS-MAILIST] Welders

Daniel Lance via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jul 29 19:28:32 EDT 2023

Emile ,
I agree with you wholeheartedly.....the average multi process welding
machine just does not have the duty cycle to do consistent "code" quality
work.  If a person wants to weld their sub with the MIG/MAG process they
need to be in the higher amperage "Spray Arc Mode" which usually requires
having 3phase power. A typical multi process / light duty MIG machine is
designed to run in the "Short Circuit Mode" which is  adequate for welding
sheet metal  and thicker gauges up to (1/4" , 6mm) . Yes , you can crank
those machines up to their maximum settings and maybe run in "Spray Arc"
for a brief period . But soon you exceed its duty cycle and your back
running in "Short Circuit " .....not adequate for submarine work. If anyone
looks at the professional literature on this subject they will quickly
learn that "Short Circuit" is not the place to be for pressure vessel
quality work...the weld might "look" really pretty . In the end it's all
about pressure cycles...and how many you might get away with before it
fails......( The phrase "Stockton Rush " should come to mind !

I have a Miller XMT 350 that I run TIG roots with and then fill and cap in
SMAW mode with 7018 for mild steel and 316L for stainless steel.

Cliff,  you are welcome back for a refresher anytime ! Getting proficient
at welding is all repetition .

Dan Lance

On Sat, Jul 29, 2023, 1:50 PM via Personal_Submersibles <