[PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn Kotta 101 - Thruster Reliability

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jul 25 16:02:55 EDT 2023

 Minn Kota is very tight lipped about any of the design aspects of their products.  I guess they are fending off cheap knockoffs.  As such I can find no real data on materials such as make-up of the brushes.  I am looking at transformer dielectric oil as a possible replacement like https://phillips66lubricants.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Transformer-Oil.pdf. As to arcing being the possible cause of the blackened fluid, it is possible, but my guess is a suspension of brush particles given the amount of sludge left on all the parts and the wear pattern on the shaft.  What would support arcing hypothesis is that all of these thrusters were filled using a vacuum pump.  Yet all the bladders experienced gas pressure build-up.  Likewise, Alec filled all his thrusters with WD-40 and saw similar blackened WD-40 in bladders and similar gas built up past what you would expect from thermal expansion of fluid.
Cliff