[PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn Kotta 101 - Thruster Reliability

Tue Jul 25 15:22:18 EDT 2023

I have no specific experience with using the WD40 product for pressure compensating thrusters (or any other volumes, for that matter), but I do question its efficacy for that purpose on the basis of its known properties.

WD40 is a proprietary mixture of lubricants and solvents known to have strong dielectric properties. While the exact formulation is a trade secret, in general terms the product is an emulsion of oil and alcohol. Marketed as a penetrant, it has a low viscosity afforded by the substantial fraction of volatile, lightweight components, which help to allow capillary action to draw the emulsified product into crevices. In unencapsulated service (open to atmosphere), typically the lightweight components will evaporate into the surrounding air, temporarily serving their function as a solvent to dissolve certain solid or high viscosity residues before leaving behind the heavier oils which serve the lubrication function.

When you encapsulate WD40 in a closed volume, the lightweight components do not evaporate, leaving them to perform their solvent function on any soluble material in contact for as long as the equilibrium concentration gradient supports that. Additionally, you hold these lightweight components with low viscosity / high volatility (remember, this product is marketed as a penetrant) in contact with whatever sealing arrangements are designed to keep it contained, where these seals would otherwise perform much better in contact with a higher viscosity oil or grease which augments the seal performance.

In short, for any compensation of electronics in static applications, I would consider only the dielectric properties and dimensional stability (bulk modulus) of the compensating fluid. In a dynamic application, such as with a drive shaft seal, I would also pay attention to viscosity and lubricity. Material compatibility, however, is critically important in both cases, and I would be much more comfortable with a product for which the chemical makeup (and thus the material compatibility matrix) is known and available on a technical datasheet, versus a proprietary product that has no such publically available information.

Similarly, with regard to compensating a Minn Kota motor specifically, I would want to know what all of the internal materials that may be in contact with the compensation fluid are, to make sure I was specifying a compatible fluid. I have no idea what information is available in that respect.

Finally, I do wonder how much fluid breakdown is occurring not as a result of chemical incompatibility, but rather as a result of the brushes lifting from the armature due to the journal effect of the compensating fluid forming a boundary layer in between the two parts as they rotate, and a consequent electric arc forming which jumps the gap and cooks the fluid in the process. The combination of fluid breakdown and ablation of the brushes from such arcing could possibly be the source of the blackened fluid, as opposed to dissolution of the components due to chemical incompatibility.

I find myself wondering if there might be a sweet spot with respect to the compensating fluid viscosity where the rotor is actually slowed by the fluid to the extent that the brush contact is actually better than it would be when rotating faster in a lesser viscosity fluid.

Sean