[PSUBS-MAILIST] I've got a Potato in my sub

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Aug 19 15:30:31 EDT 2023

Jon,If the Gnome was too bulky & fat you should keep him off the raspberry Pi & give him potato instead.There are a few PLC type arduino products coming out & other plc like Controllino that are arduino compatible that look quite interesting. More bulky but the connections would be more robust. Around NZ $400.Alan

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 at 5:46 am, Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles<personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:   Le Potato, to be specific.  It's a potential SBC replacement for the Raspberry Pi which is still difficult to obtain here in the USA due to chip shortages causing prices of the PI to soar over $100.  At $35 the Potato has the same form-factor but a 64 bit processor as well as some other hardware upgrades that match or exceed the Raspberry Pi.  Last year I spent many frustrating hours trying to get the Potato to work with a USB WIFI and configured as necessary to interface with my sensor inputs.  This year a new OS revision has resolved all those issues and I have gotten the Potato configured as necessary rather easily using UBUNTU 22.04, making it a potential alternative to the PI.  The only real negative I ran into was that it comes with GNOME desktop which is way too bulky, fat, and slow for the 2GB of memory that comes on the Potato board.  I resolved that by installing Xfce instead which is a light-weight no frills GUI desktop.
https://libre.computer/products/aml-s905x-cc/

Personal_Submersibles mailing list
Personal_Submersibles at psubs.org