[PSUBS-MAILIST] Repackaged LifePo4?

David Colombo via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 6 15:49:46 EDT 2022

Hi Jon, I am currently using a single battery in the VAST interior AGM,
weight of 58 lbs, dim 13.3x6.875x8.5" tall, 92 AH. My replacement lipo4 is
43.1 lbs, dim 19.02x6.7x9.45" tall, and 200AH.
This battery I will be laying on its side which gives me an additional 2
inches of vertical height, which will give me better access to the scrubber
location.The loss of weight of 14.3 lbs will be cast as a lead weight and
placed in my drop weight tray. Better center of gravity and less weight in
the aft section.
I have played with the idea of having the cells placed as an arc between
the internal t ribs as an alternative by building my own lipo4 battery
pack. It would certainly give back valuable  space in the VAST with such a
design, just not sure I have the bandwidth to add another design project to
my current schedule, but you never know.
My thoughts on the battery pods, are to use the lipo4 as they come, figure
out how to add lead weights in the hollow area beneath the batteries for
some cast lead strips. At a cost $500 per battery or more depending on the
AH desired, I wouldn't cut them open. Might be cheaper to build your own.
David

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022, 7:26 AM hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <