[PSUBS-MAILIST] GPS integrated into software package

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Feb 10 14:39:56 EST 2022

 Alan, et al,
An update on my electronics work for anyone interested.  A little out of subject bounds but I have successfully implemented a wireless personal weather station using two Raspberry Pi microprocessors.  An outside unit collects data from sensors and transfers that information via wireless 2.4ghz ethernet to a display inside the house.  Both collector and display use Raspberry Pi B with USB wifi adapters.  I've been running this configuration 24/7 for about a month without any network breakdown.
While I'm still quite happy with the performance of the TEENSY processor for the SEM project, this does open the door for wireless communication between sensors and controllers within the submarine cabin as well as providing all the conveniences that come with a full operating system such as writing log files and storing captured information.  And of course, using a laptop, notebook, or phone to remote control everything via VNC.
I used Python on the remote "collector" unit to interface with the sensors and continue to use Processing Language for the graphics on the display unit.  Both computer languages have a large user base and many implementation examples on the Internet.  Both also support Sockets for network communication, which was tricky to implement but has proven to be as robust as I expected it to be.
Anyway, the saga continues.
Jon