[PSUBS-MAILIST] YouTube guy bought a 1998 Sport Sub

Tim Novak via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Aug 31 21:18:47 EDT 2022

This YouTube guy is really a puzzle.  I sent him an email about our group and about SportSubs without response from him. He has some friends providing technical support, but it is a learning curve for him that won't be too steep, and he certainly plays up the drama. Playing up the drama seems to be his main reason for getting the sub.  Ambient subs are pretty benign and fairly safe for trained divers. He should do alright, especially with the click count.

When I first bought my sub in late 2011 (built under license by another firm) Ron Leonard of IVC was very helpful with advice. However, he was not interested in providing any support, not even a copy of the maintenance manual. I met up with him to buy some SportSub t-shirts, but that's it. Last communications that I had was May 2019 to buy a few newer t-shirts for my wife and me to wear while at the Dive & Travel Show in Long Beach, CA. For some reason Ron was just not able to make it happen.

It looks to me that IVC Corp, the original SportSub manufacturer, is no longer in business and now operates as Sport Sub under Area58 Innovations Inc. (Rob Shantz, CEO). They have a newer facility in Coquitlam, BC (near Vancouver) where they are manufacturing an updated SportSub, and perhaps some other models. Ron was there back in 2019, but I have not tried to contact Ron or Rob since.

The web site "sportsub.com" and the FaceBook group "SportSub Personal Submarines" appear to be going concerns. The latest post on the FaceBook group was Aug17/22.

I will try contacting them, maybe even drop by.  If you are interested I will let you know how it goes. I know, SportSubs are not K-350's, but they do have their own merits.

Tim