[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-250 dome advice

Mon Apr 18 10:36:00 EDT 2022

Pressure rating of the dome will be determined by the largest effective radius of curvature of the head. In a 2:1 semi-elliptical head, that radius occurs at the apex and the pressure rating is exactly half that of a hemispherical head at the same diameter. With a blown head, it is actually forming a spherical sector bounded at the dome diameter. You can work out where the center of curvature of that sector is based on geometry, but the pressure rating will be considerably less that that of a hemispherical dome. You must also account for thinning of the dome at the apex, as it is the minimum wall thickness which will apply to the pressure calc.

Sean