[PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster bladders

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Sep 15 17:56:37 EDT 2021

 Hi Rick, This is a home built brushless thruster. I have attached a photo of a pool test. It's not that clear but I have one tube coming off the motor that also contains the wiring. The tube is going to an oil compensator (big aluminium thing sitting in the plastic box). At a point along the tube I have a plummers T fitting where the wires are potted & come out from. Another tube is attached at 90 degrees & leads to the compensator. So I fill the motor up with 5cst silicone oil and don't worry about getting every bubble of air out. Then attach the hose & fill the rest of it from a fill port on the compensator. I have done away with that compensator and are using an air pressure regulator set at 5psi with a relieving valve set at 7-8 psi. The regulator has to be mounted upside down & have a hole in the handle area. The seawater comes in through the hole and compresses the air on to the regulator diaphragm, giving your set pressure of 5psi plus ambient water pressure. You could have a separate nipple on your motor for the air compensation tube. You fill the oil partially up the tube which acts as your oil level indicator. The beauty of having oil pressurised by air, is that if the oil leaked out the air will replace it & still keep the seawater out. BTW Karl Stanley has been to 2000ft with anair compensated system, using a 1st stage regulator that he has removed the spring from to give ambient pressure. I don't like the system where people wrap a tube around the motor & connect to two nipples. We discussed this at length & thought that the plastic tubing may not collapse to give ambient pressure till about 100psi. So you are basically relying on the motor seals. I can do you a dwg of how my system will be if you like! Alan