[PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster bladders

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Sep 15 00:34:33 EDT 2021

 Hi Rick, I am pressurising the oil in my thrusters with air at 5psi above ambient. Have found that without a bit of pressure the oil gets flung out of the motor housing & up the feed tube. The feed tube to the thruster is clear & gives me an indication of the oil level. I have spent a lot of time on the compensator issue, even 3d printing one & using a second stage regulator. I am currently ordering a stainless 316 pressure regulator with a 0-25psi output range and a stainless brewers over-pressure valve set at between 6-8psi. This is similar to what Brian Hughes is doing & a modification on what Cliff was using. Cliffs relieving type regulator couldn't cope with the back pressure build up. One advantage of going this route is that if you want to copy the Psubs electric manipulator (am working on my own version) you need to air compensate it & you can do both off this same unit. I am running a hose from the regulator to a manifold, from which hoses will go to 4 thrusters, the electric manipulator and over-pressure valve. Let me know if I can help. Alan