[PSUBS-MAILIST] battery pod

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Mar 30 13:48:25 EDT 2021

 Hard to visualize.  An end view of pods showing the interference issue would help.
Cliff
    On Monday, March 29, 2021, 11:20:25 PM CDT, Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Well I just got blindsided by my first, what I would call major problem, since I started this project which I guess is pretty good but it might be a major one. On any project, you tend to look forward the best you can when you fabricate something to make sure you are not painting yourself into a corner but this one may have got me I think.
My battery pod design is a little different than what's on the plans. I attach the end caps a little differently but I also take the power into the sub a little differently as well. I wanted to be able to remove the batteries when needed without a lot of trouble though the end caps will usually always stay on. I built an aluminum tray for each side that all 4 batteries fit into end to end and that tray slides along two pieces of SS angle welded into the inside. One leg goes up and the other leg points inward at each other. After building the aluminum trays using 1/4" flat bar, I snuggled the SS angle to both sides of the tray adding a little slop to it so they wouldn't be too snug and bind then put them inside the pipe and went down until the SS angles touched the inside of the pipe and tack welded the SS angles in place plumb and true. Before doing all this, I made a plywood template of it to confirm that I would have the clearance I needed based on using the 12 volt wet cell battery the plans call for.
Even with the thickness of the SS tracks and aluminum trays, I had a comfortable clearance for passing my sealing ring. Well,,,I found out that with the batteries in the tray, they will not slide under/past the copper all thread that comes in at the 32 degree angle from the hull and I cut those about as short as I could to be able to get the 2 nuts on them with a lug. From what little I understand about wet cell batteries, I guess they come in different classes based on certain things so I don't think I can just go get ones that are a little shorter. I am all ears guys! I have had usually non P subbers ask me why I didn't use new state of the art lithium batteries or golf cart batteries but I am limited on space and dimensions and also a lot of thought went into trimming the boat out using that particular battery.
Rick