[PSUBS-MAILIST] Depth Sounder

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Mar 29 09:36:47 EDT 2021

 Alan, just terminology.  When someone says "hull" I think pressure hull, not a viewport or a specialty port like the fiberglass one you describe.  By the way, how are you calculating failure on the fiberglass "port"?  Airmar told me they think 1/2 inch is limit for shooting through plexiglas but that was a guess on their part.  Regardless, I don't have a bottom viewport to shoot through and probably won't add one to the K-600.  I was considering a 1-ATM housing of some kind to hang outside, but Cliff had no problem taking Airmar DST800 to 400 feet without any modification so I'd much prefer that route.
I've been concentrating on finding a NMEA-0183 transducer that can sound at 600-1000 feet reliably and that is proving to be difficult.  Cliff's DST800 is suppose to sound up to 300 feet but he has found it is limited to about 170 feet.  I talked to an Airmar rep at length last week and he confirmed that the sounding ratings are not empirical, as well as stating that feedback from actual installations fall in line with Cliff's observations.  The issue, as always when acoustics are involved, is water density, quality, blah, blah, blah.  So seems like 50% effectiveness of stated sounding rating could be a realistic expectation.
For some of the deep diving subs we are seeing pop up, a depth sounding transducer that can reach max depth is starting to sound like a luxury.