[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass work k-250 mbt

Wed Sep 2 07:54:55 EDT 2020

Hi Phillippe.

I made a glass fibre plug and mould last summer for a completely different,
not submarine related project, but the principle is the same.  This was the
first time i had done this but it turned out ok.

1.  Make a plug out of anything more or less.  I used wood and covered it
with plaster of paris.  I made this spinning shape thing to scoop the
plaster into the correct shape.  Key is to sand the plaster utterly
smooth.  Even the tiniest scratch will show on the mould and eventually
your part.
2.  Cover with wax, gelcoat and then glass fibre.
3.  Pop out the plug (difficult as the glass shrinks onto the plug).
4.  Polish and wax the mould.
5.  Cover the mould with gelcoat, then glass fibre.
6.  Pop it out.  (easier as the part tends to shrink away from the mould.

There are lots of people with more expertise, but I didnt find it too
hard.   I would just crack on and give it a go.  Maybe read up on some
fibreglassing web sites.  Once you have a decent mould, you can bang out
plenty of the parts.

Have a look at these pics.

1.  Initial wood and spinner.
2.  Covered in plaster.
3.  Making mould.
4.  Mould done and polished.
5.  Filling mould to make part.
6.  Finished part just out of mould.  Needs polishing.

[image: Untitled.png]
might help?
Regards
James

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 22:10, Michael Dell via Personal_Submersibles <