[PSUBS-MAILIST] Skadoc Question

MerlinSub@t-online.de via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon May 11 07:02:45 EDT 2020

Pfister Blue Globes on both sides - depents on diameter they have differnet
pressure test.
My have 90 bar for two minutes in boilling water.. or something like that.

vbr Carsten

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Skadoc Question
Datum: 2020-05-11T11:49:17+0200
Von: "Antoine Delafargue via Personal_Submersibles"
<personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
An: "Personal Submersibles General Discussion"
<personal_submersibles at psubs.org>

hello James,
funny I asked myself the same question the last few days.

-blue globes are the simplest: rated 15bars I believe. Emile tested them to
even higher pressure without sliding. with 2 on each end you have extra
comfort.
but that would not be class approved as any damage to the cable sleeve and
you will be wet inside the sub.

-Subconn as a high power line. but you have to check the maximum amperage.
would be expensive. and lead time seemed a bit long last time this group
discussed it.

-Epoxy potting in some time of insert. you need nice craft skills I would
think

-Final option: a more elaborate design I used on pilot fish:
 *a delrin sleeve goes into the penetration
*inside runs a brass pin with a shoulder profile to prevent intrusion into
the hull, the pin is glued in the delrin housing, and the cable is soldered
into the pin. A blue globe caps it off so no water gets into the pin area.
*inside the hull you have a delrin ring to isolate the electrical
connection from the hull, then a brass screw covering the brass pin end and
the retaining delring ring. the internal cable can be covered by that screw
too via a crimp.
this could even be more elaborate with orings rather than glue, and a
system to make the inside of the hull water tight as well.

regards
Antoine

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:29 AM James Frankland via Personal_Submersibles
<personal_submersibles at psubs.org <mailto:personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
> wrote:
  Hi All
  Continued to work on Skadocs new battery pod this weekend.

  I was making good progress until the coolant pump on my lathe broke down.
   Its all blocked with sludge.  Not looking forward to cleaning that
  out....

  Anyway, I have a question.  How do you guys think I should take the power
  from the pod into the hull?

  I found the K350 battery pod electrical through hulls tiresome to make
  and fit.  So I want to do it different this time.

  Options.

  1.  Proper sub conn bulkhead connector.

  2.  Pipe fitting with a valve and detachable cables.  In the event of a
  leak in the pod, the cables could be pulled clear and the valve closed.

  3.  Blue Globe or similar cable glands.  Two on the pod, two on the hull.

  Any ideas?  There are pro's and cons of each.

  [Pod.jpg]