[PSUBS-MAILIST] motor oil compensator

Wed Mar 25 08:35:09 EDT 2020

Hi All,
This is a really interesting topic for me.  I have been meaning to ask this
for a while but been a bit busy with other stuff.
I need to modify my motors again somehow.  I have a simple tube coming from
the top of the motor with a valve that i can shut, so i can seal the motor
and close it off.

No matter what i do, i always seem to end up with a small amount of air in
the tube.

This picture is the only one i can find.

The tube comes out the top, around to a valve secured underneath.  Thats
it.  There is no hole on the underside any more.

I fill it, it seems fine.  The next day there are a few bubbles, which i
would expect from just sticking to things.  So i clear that.  However,
after either a dive or some time, a small amount of air gets in the tube.

There appears to be no leaks and no seawater in the motor.

What am i doing wrong?  Its such a nuisance and worry to me.

I have heard that some people put the prop shaft seals in backwards?  I
didnt do that, they are just standard.

I suspect im getting pressure differences and its sucking air past the
seal.  Maybe some sort of 5 psi pressure system is required, as per cliffs
method?  Any more info on that?

Thanks,
James

[image: image.png]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 08:43, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <