[PSUBS-MAILIST] publicity

Thu Jun 18 09:16:10 EDT 2020

Minimum usage factor specified by ABS is 1.25, specific to the inter-stiffener strength failure mode, which is far more predictable than the instability modes. Consequently, the usage factors on those modes are greater so that the design failure pressure is always deterministic. When you build from tough steel though, as is the case with ASTM A516 grade 70 N which many of us are using, the steel can actually yield and undergo plastic deformation to a significant extent (slow crush) and may not even reach its ultimate strength limit before hitting the safety factor on a buckling mode (implosion).

Thus, the maximum allowable working pressure specified by ABS is the pressure at the yield point at an interstiffener strength failure divided by 1.25, but this is still somewhat removed from the actual survivability limit, which has a probability distribution that effectively begins at the inter-stiffener strength failure with usage factor 1.0, and extends past the buckling modes (also at 1.0).

Sean

Sent from ProtonMail mobile