[PSUBS-MAILIST] Compensation Method Again...

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 13 08:03:59 EDT 2020

Hi James,
to me the bellows look too small.
Any air in the system that is compressed, or oil that leaks out could cause the
bellows to be forced into the connecting tube & get ruptured in the process.
This would destroy your motor with the salt water flowing in.
All commercial ROV & submarine motors I've seen have an overpressure of
about 5psi, & in an ex military paper I read on compensating motors, the over
pressure is standard.
I would have a look at the size of commercial compensators for thrusters &
base the size of your bellows on that.
People in the group who just dive lakes can get away with lots of things but
with you diving in seawater, you mightn't be so lucky.
Cheers Alan