[PSUBS-MAILIST] 2020 Psub Convention

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Feb 16 15:29:43 EST 2020

Hi everyone,

Regarding the Innerspace expedition, we are in the early planning stages
and don't have a date yet but should soon. It's an exploration of Sebago
Lake in Maine, in collaboration with St Joseph's College which is local. We
have a conference call scheduled for this coming Tuesday at which we expect
to receive formally documented science objectives, and next up in the
planning process will be to pick dates. The subs in attendance are planned
to be Harold and Shackleton (i.e. Brian Hughes and myself). I have a fairly
complicated year as I am also on the Pisces team and if Pisces dates
change, my availability changes too. But that is why we have two subs
planned. As the first step in getting ready, we are also planning two or
three days of sea trials and depth tests early in the season. This will be
the week of May 15th at Summersville Lake in WV and we plan to have three
subs there - the above two plus Steve McQueen's K250 going in the water for
the first time. The Summersville location probably doesn't lend itself for
presentations, and we're going to have a really crammed agenda trying to
depth test three subs in a couple of days. Sebago Lake is probably good for
that and we could add a day or two of presentations to the schedule. That
said, it's always been a good idea to have a PSUBS member who is local take
the lead organizing conventions. Also I know from the past two Innerspace
trips that the sub owners will be utterly tied up with sub logistics, field
repairs, etc. and trying to have them organize or run a convention on the
side doesn't seem like a wise choice. Bottom line... I would suggest that
those wanting to see subs dive come join us in Maine, but if it were me I'd
organize a separate presentation-style convention. I agree there have been
a lot of developments that would make for good presentations.

I nominate Brian to organize a presentation convention in Annapolis. He'd
be good at it. It's sort of half way between those coming from North or
South. Between Mark, Brian, and myself we have four or five subs for people
to look at, and can even dive a bit at Mark's even though it isn't
wonderful clear water. That's right Brian, I just volunteered you!!!

:)

Alec

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 12:15 PM Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <