[PSUBS-MAILIST] Magnacom SW-1000-sc Battery

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Dec 19 14:37:45 EST 2020

Hi David,
using a 2 cel configuration to illistrate; the most basic set up with lithium batteries would be to have 2 cels in series with the main positive & negative wires coming off the ends. Additionally there would be 3 smaller gauge wires running from the positive, the negative & the point where the two batteries join. These smaller wires go to a particular connector compatible with a balance charger. The balance charger reads the voltage of each individual battery & draws current away from over charged batteries and adds it to under charged batteries. The balance charging is needed because lithium batteries can go out of sink in time to the point where one battery gets charged to a dangerously high level & another gets low in comparison & can be damaged by being run too low. I have lithium packs with just these balancing wires added but in the applications I'm using them on (drones & lights) that's all I need as I have a flight controller on the drones checking the power level & volt meters on the lights. Most rc lithium battery packs just have the added balancing wires.
What you need additionally depends on what electronics is already in the module.
A low voltage indicator or cut-off is important. In some of my uses the high & low voltage
limits are programmable. Am mentioning this in case any integrated circuits in your current electronics are pre-programmed.
Alan