[PSUBS-MAILIST] Altimeter / barometer/ inclinometer

Wed Apr 22 16:08:55 EDT 2020

Copied from the January 2020 release of the ABS rules:

"
35 Life Support and Environmental Control Systems

35.1 General Life support systems are to meet the applicable requirements of this Section and Section 8.

Submersibles are to be provided with equipment to generate, monitor and maintain suitable life support conditions inside the manned compartment. One atmosphere chambers/systems are to be designed so that the concentration of O2 (oxygen) will be kept within the limits of 18.0 to 23.0 percent by volume and the concentration of CO2 (carbon dioxide) will never exceed 0.5 percent by volume.
"

18% would appear to be the absolute lower permissible limit, but of course depending on how responsive your addition system is you would likely have to add with some margin on the way down so that you never hit that 18% in the worst case response. If you can do continuous control, then target the same 20.95% O2 that exists in atmospheric air, and alarm as appropriate so that you have time to respond to such an alarm without exceeding the limits.

Sean