[PSUBS-MAILIST] Parker Pressure Regulator

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Oct 15 14:55:51 EDT 2019

Alec, thanks.
I have several scuba regulators on my ambient sub.
I used octopus regulators as they are slightly less sensitive so that they don't
free flow. As per pictures below, I took off the mouth piece & attached some
some clear plastic tubing that I heated & forced on. On the exhausts I fitted
& glued PVC bends to keep air on the outer side of the exhaust valve & stop
water coming in the system. Not all regulators are the same so you need to
Source the most adaptable one. I believe it was Greg that liked the idea of the
exhaust extension as he said he had been using regulators & getting a bit of water
in his thrusters.
I had thought of machining a housing & fitting scuba second stage parts in it;
adding a spring to give 5 psi overpressure & using a BCD exhaust valve with
an appropriate sized spring in it.
I have an Ex military document on compensating motors, & 5 psi is the standard,
however there are large variations on that. Commercial compensator pressure
varies from around ( roughly) 3 to 9 psi over pressure depending on the oil level
/ Spring Extension.
Is the off gassing volume going to be a problem? In the last 33ft to the surface
the volume will double but even if it is still releasing air after you hit the surface
it shouldn't be an excessive pressure should it?
Karl Stanley was using a first stage regulator with spring removed ( gives ambient
pressure) for air compensation & said he just let the air bubble out the thruster seals.
Alan