[PSUBS-MAILIST] Vessel for hire - subs as unique watercraft

Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Oct 10 10:58:03 EDT 2019

Jon,

Mark was part of the conversation as was Steve McQueen,  Daniel Lance, Alex Smyth and myself.  This was the evening after we had launched Alec’s new boat and we started ruminating on what we are doing or plan to do with our various subs.

In the past Mark worked with the Coast Guard and they basically told him, “we don’t know what to do with you so keep it to yourself.”  Because his primary mission is lessons, as many of you know, he opted to not be in the sub and be able to run everything from the outside.  He has a cam on the student, com and can blow the ballast tanks from the surface – remote control sub in case something happens.  It’s even easier now that he’s gone back to a K250. He also has an ironclad hold harmless document students sign.

For those of us whose primary usage would be recreational, (or search and recovery with me as the sole occupant) what got me asking the question is what to do if the occasional opportunity should arise.  What if a research expedition arose and there might be an occasion for grant money to take scientists below, etc.  Or a weekend driving people around a lake.  As I’ll be retired the end of this year and will be spending more time sub’n, these are the sorts of things that I ask when smoking a really good cigar and sip’n a fine single cask bourbon.

Brian

Sent from Mail for Windows 10