[PSUBS-MAILIST] passive sonar

T Novak via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat May 18 15:23:41 EDT 2019

Brian,

Since you are depending on the surface vessel to see you with its equipment there may not be much that you can do.  Most fish finders would likely paint your shape proud off the bottom, and maybe as a big fish while in the water column. Unless other have had experience with that scenario, trials would answer those questions.

It would be interesting to see how an upward pointing transducer on your sub would be detected and painted by a surface based depth sounder. Would your signal not "jam" the other's display?  It's worth a try.

Tim