[PSUBS-MAILIST] passive sonar

Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat May 18 14:56:27 EDT 2019

I bought a cheap depth sounder/fish finder that I thought I would mount up
front facing horizontal and my thought would be that if I were trying to
locate a wreck or an atoll that was out of visibility, assuming that the
bottom was relatively flat, I could rotate 360 degrees and look for a depth
that was showing close. I would probably have to rotate very slowly for it
to show but I figured for the price, it was worth trying. I spoke with
Garmin who built it and they weren't sure it would work in that capacity as
the signal comes out as a cone and if I was close to the bottom, I might be
picking up the bottom right away? The did sell much more expensive forward
looking sonars for yachts but trying to keep my costs down per wife. I will
probably take it down to the dock and clip the transponder to a stick and
hold it horizontal just underwater and see how it does. I'll let ya know
the results when I do.
Rick

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 7:26 AM Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <