[PSUBS-MAILIST] Sonar thru hull wiring

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 24 15:45:00 EDT 2019

 I think they can't hurt.  The idea is to supply a less resistive path to ground for any inductive noise that might be picked up either through motors or other cables.  Shields have more surface area and less resistance than the signal wire so the inducted noise will take that path rather than the signal wire.  The proper method is to connect the shield separately to a dedicated pin that ultimately ends up on ground of the power supply.  So, as has been suggested by others...if the transducer has three wires, get a four pin connector and apply shield to the fourth pin and then terminate to your battery ground somewhere inside the hull.
Jon