[PSUBS-MAILIST] Sonar thru hull wiring

Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jun 22 09:05:45 EDT 2019

Alec, that's how I ran my prior transducers, but ...

As I haven't yet cut through the wiring I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's more than the usual two, hence the question. I'm debating attempting the simplest approach: tie a tight knot in the cable and run it through a 90° elbow, the part facing out being at least 1/2" larger than the thru hull.  I have an extra 1/4" NPT I could use.  Plug the narrow end with epoxy, and top the large end with 2 part hard rubber.  I know Mark does this with his subs, but he dives shallower than I'll be going.

Hmm ... or maybe a gland tightened around the cable, same deal as above, but embedded the gland base in the 2 part hard rubber. Or maybe a stainless cap tapped for the gland base, and fill with hard rubber from the other end. I used to make canister dive light heads that way, using turned down D cell mag light heads with LED replacement bulbs. Hmm ...

I can shorten internally and splice correctly.

Reflections?

Brian