[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED lights

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jun 16 18:21:37 EDT 2019

Hi Jon,
I sent this email out with 3 photos attached but must have been too big,
so repeating it without photos.
I spent an inordinate amount of time on this; initially Googling & ordering in
lights I thought I could modify.
One problem for me is that they have to go in sea water, so need to be marine
or hard anodised. I was prepared to strip & hard anodise an existing product.
In the end I built my own.
I wanted a low profile light that could fit in to a recess & be dimmed.
With the design I have, I can replace the front plate with a wider plate that has
a second set of holes, for mounting in to a ferring.
I put the led driver in the hull rather than the light for a number of reasons.
1/ The led puts a huge amount of heat out the back & that would put the
electronics under stress. I have had to heat sink a component on my electronics
without any additional heat coming from the light.
2/ I would have had to machine another compartment on the light & fit them.
3/ Easy to get at the electronics & test them.
4/ Less wires through the hull as I have dimming on my units.
5/ Won't be destroyed by water ingress in to the light. ( the led only costs $6-)
The cave video I put up on Facebook doesn't make them look impressive as
the black walls & black sand suck up the light. I think it's about 1:40 in where it
Illuminates my friend that you get an idea. Maybe I could put a video profiling
them up on Facebook if wanted!
At the moment I need to order in some more components for additional lights.
If there was interest I could find a local machine shop to make up a number of
housings. I am guessing the housings would be more than NZ $100- each just
for the machining. Parts & material for the rest of the light, maybe $100 +
freight.
Alternatives are Emile's lights & I think Cliff had his light housing made up
in a machine shop, so perhaps with Cliff's cooperation they could make up
some more!
Alan