[PSUBS-MAILIST] Optical Oxygen Sensors

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Aug 19 09:59:39 EDT 2019

 Alan, I am with Jon on the span for the O2 sensor.  Granted under NOP a 0-25% span for O2 percent is fine but 0-100% span is handy to detect if you have HP O2 bleed into the cabin.  On one dive weekend a few years ago,   when I got ready to dive the next day I powered up the boat and a high O2 alarm sounded in the boat.  After checking I found that I had left the HP O2 blocking valve on my O2 tank open over night with the hatch secured.  With my system it is possible to have a very low flow bleed into the cabin. The cabin atmosphere had risen to 27% O2.  I got out my handy leaf blower and aired out the cabin and proceeded to dive.
I use the Max-250 | Maxtec

|  |  |

|  |
Max-250 | Maxtec

Replacement oxygen sensor for Maxtec OM-25, Fluke VT Mobile,

with a custom PCB that converts this 10-15mV signal into a 0-5V signal I use for analog input on my PLC.  I find you have to replace this element every 3-4 years.  It comes factory calibrated.  For field calibration, I added some ladder logic to PLC that lets me add a bias error correction to sensor by comparing what the sensor is measuring to the air it is measuring in the cabin when the hatch is open.  I find this works quite well.  Normal air has 20.95% O2, if I look at my life support display on my boat and find it much off from this, I hit the calibration button and difference between what it is reading and 20.95% is stored as a bias error correction calibration constant.
The accuracy of Max-250 sensor is +/- 1% full scale so the benefit of going to a O2 sensor with a 0-25% span even with with a +/- 2% would be a more accurate measurement because of the span.  Having said that, I have had no issues with 0-100%, +/-1% full scale sensor.
The nice part about having the output from the O2 sensor go through the PLC is that I can have the PLC sound an alarm and lock out diving the boat if the O2 measurement is high or low.
For my boat I sound a high O2 alert if O2 is > 23% and a low O2 alert if the O2 is <18%.  These alarm levels have worked pretty well.
Cliff