[PSUBS-MAILIST] pulled thread line - submarine AC and heat

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Apr 2 21:18:07 EDT 2019

Hi Brian,
I have just named a file "air conditioning" as I couldn't find any of my
past research.
I don't know how many peltiers. If you based your air conditioning system
on a car which uses 4 hp or 2,980 Watts & factored in that peltiers are 1/4
as efficient as conventional air conditioning then you would need 11,920 W
to get the equivalent cooling! And then it's an unknown as the peltiers are
more efficient when there is a larger temperature differential between sides.
So when you really need AC in Florida, because the water is warm, the peltier
will be less efficient ( as I presume the AC system will be ).
Directing the ducted cold air on to you rather than trying to cool the whole
sub is the best way to go.
I have heard that some commercially available subs use a lot less power in their
AC systems than cars. Cars don't sit in water, so subs have that advantage.
As I have said, peltiers are an efficient heater, so there is no waste putting them
in even if you have a not so good air conditioner.
With the boat air conditioners you have to get rid of the heat they produce
to the water which could be a problem with pressures that subs go down to.
If you force an air stream over the peltiers moisture will condense on them so
maybe mount them on a slope with a drain at the bottom.
I was thinking of mounting them with a heat transfer glue either direct to the
hull or on an Aluminium heat sink that is bolted in contact with the hull.
If I went with the Aluminium heat sink I would have to ensure the contour
of the heat sink matched the hull perfectly & add some heat transfer paste.
I like the heated vest idea.
Phil Nuyten said Nuytco used an external air conditioner & kept the sub cool
that way before diving. They also had vests with pockets that they stored
re freezeable chilly pads in.
Alan