[PSUBS-MAILIST] CO2 scrubber BOM or documentation

Fri Mar 29 19:59:14 EDT 2024

Hatch considerations are specifically addressed in Section 11.5 of the ABS Rules for Building and Classing Underwater Vehicles, Systems, and Hyperbaric Facilities (2024).

Structurally, hatches should be designed in accordance with the guidelines for pressure boundary components in that document (i.e. the various approved head and shell geometries, or unstayed flat heads per the Steel Vessel Rules) for the appropriate design working pressure, and windows in hatches are subject to the same rules as windows in the hull shell. Reinforcement of a hatch seat opening, as with a window seat, should add, at minimum, an equal area of material as was removed from the hull shell for the opening. Acrylic windows may not be considered as load bearing through the opening, but metallic hatches may be if the stresses are carried through the interface without discontinuity / offset. Dogging mechanisms should permit the hatch to withstand a minimum of 1 atm overpressure in the unseating direction without compromising the hatch seal.

Sean