[PSUBS-MAILIST] information on viewports

Jefferson Tortorelli via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Mar 17 15:33:29 EDT 2024

 Actually not thinking of a dome but rather flat view ports. I have a cnc (primarily for my woodworking) and can machine a two part mold quite easily

Jefferson Tortorelli
Tortorelli Creations
4910 Santa Anita Avenue
El Monte, CA 91731
Cell: 909-908-3795
Shop: 909-370-3131
Fax: Please send PDF
Website: Tortorelli.com
________________________________
From: Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles-bounces at psubs.org> on behalf of Alan James via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2024 12:25:43 PM
To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] information on viewports

Hi Jeff, welcome along. Keep the questions coming and if you dont get a satisfactory reply try again. This is a helpful and experienced group.
I have never heard of any home builder casting their own acrylic domes or view ports. It could be happening with the improvements in technology and products available.
You would need to build an inner & outer mold & let it set very slowly for the thickness involved.
When they pioneered acrylic dome casting they had a sprue at the apex of the dome for sucking material from during its shinkage while setting. And a lot of failures.
It also involves post molding machining & clean up. Also you will need a large enough computer controlled oven to ramp up & down the temperature at around 1 degree per hour.
Most people that attempt a home made dome will have it blown. But again you need to control the temperature increase.
Regards Alan.

Yahoo Mail: Search, organise, conquer<https://mail.onelink.me/107872968?pid=NativePlacement&c=Global_Acquisition_YMktg_315_EmailSignatureGrowth_YahooMail:Search,Organize,Conquer&af_sub1=Acquisition&af_sub2=Global_YMktg&af_sub3=&af_sub4=100000945&af_sub5=OrganizeConquer__Static_>

On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 at 6:25 am, Jefferson Tortorelli via Personal_Submersibles