[PSUBS-MAILIST] information on viewports

Jefferson Tortorelli via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Mar 17 13:23:19 EDT 2024

Hi Hank:

I must start off telling you I recently discovered your youtube videos and have watched them all several times. It is through you that I discovered PSUB.org. Many thanks.

Until I read in some old threads on psub that you were working on epoxy viewports, I had been thinking about pouring my own acrylic. I will stick with that. Some of the other guys have recommended some really good resource books which I am going to purchase.

Initially the submarine I want to build would be for no more than 300 foot depth. Primarily lake diving. I live pretty close to the ocean but would have to do some research as to locations I could launch and dive. The advice about the boat trailer is the way to go. Otherwise I had thought about building some retractable wheels where I could roll the sub down off the trailer. Not that far yet.

I have been advised by a few members that the flat panel design of my sub doesn’t lend itself to depth. The original design had a cylindrical pressure chamber but I removed that for more room inside. I thought if I used ½” steel plate with interior ribs that would suffice for pressure. Evidently I am wrong on that so I will go back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for your response.

Jeff

Jefferson Tortorelli
Tortorelli Creations